Featured Post

PSP2, Switch 2 and an Xbox handheld... a brighter portable future?

Tales of a Vita dev: Juliano Lima

Highlighting another example of what Sony has thrown away by not continuing to support the Vita (previous tales include "Gnosia highlights the developer power of Vita"), here's Juliano Lima's (LightUp Games) experiences of how some Vita love helped get Super Wiloo Demake and Milo's Quest running on the PlayStation's diminutive screen.

More importantly about how much those silly little black boxes that Sony so casually gave up on really mean to people, both developers and gamers.  I'd like to feature more developer stories so pass this around...

”A Short Life/Vita Story”
Hi guys,

Due to some recent facts, unfortunately, it’s really pretty difficult to say if more of my games will reach to the Vita… so i believe this could be a good moment to share a short story about me and the PS Vita, really hope you enjoy it guys. i call it:

“A Short Life/Vita Story!”

As a kid who has grown-up playing mainly on SNES and PlayStation One and an indie developer now, one of my biggest objectives was to release games for consoles, this always looked so RAD to me, but also a distant “dream”…

But things started to speed up a little bit when i bought a PS Vita by second hand. It was the most powerful device at that time and the library full of big titles and small indies got my attention, “my games would run fine here!” i thought, but as i couldn’t afford a dev kit, it still looked a little distant at that time…

One day I started playing and finished “Tearaway”, I was so excited about that game and how it makes me laugh out loud and also cry as a baby at some points xD I decided to make a post on my Twitter account, and for my surprise, not only the devs (Media Molecule) showed up, but also a looot of cool people came to interact with me.

I was so amazed by that! Until then I’ve never got much attention over my Twitter’s posts, and I felt that was a sign, that I would like to have a game there, I would like that amazing community also played my games.


Image
I made a post and told people i would like to release my games on the Vita, the response surprised me one more time! Lots and lots of cool people showed up calling publisher to take a look at my humble work, but unfortunately at that time, I had no luck, but I haven’t given-up yet.

After some time looking for someone who could help me, and don’t finding anyone, I decided to give up and keep my games where i could afford to release, then i’ve decided to make a post to communicate my decision.

And that amazing people, came to my rescue again, i was surprised again, I was amazed again… lots of that people started calling more publishers to take a look at my work and telling me to not give-up… so Ratalaika appeared, and now everybody knows what have happened after.

I know it’s just a piece of hardware, but the PS Vita is magical to me, because the people around it made something for me really really special, i felt worth, i felt happy to be a indie dev, and that there was awesome people who would like to play my little small games…

After that I had the pleasure to have knew many other amazing gamer’s communities, like the Xbox community in my country, which also really showed me a lot of love too! But there is more, many more… but the #Vitaisland was the first one who believed in me

So, i’m grateful guys, for all of you… you are awesome, you are like friends to me… thank you so much for looking at me and for believing in me. I don’t know if the PS Vita will continue receiving more games, but i already am very very grateful for all that it brought to me, that i can’t ask nothing more

THE END :)


Currently playing on my Vita/PS4/PS5