Featured Post

PSP2, Switch 2 and an Xbox handheld... a brighter portable future?

Thoughts on the Sony E1000 PSP

While about 95% of me is looking to the PS Vita future, a small chunk of me is happy to see the good old PSP soldiering on into another year's service. For a start, my original Jap model is now starting to show its age (but still no dead pixels and the battery life is fine). So, a UMD equipped cheap replacement can't be a bad thing.
However, this device isn't really aimed at me, core gamers or the like. Instead I think this is aimed firmly at the kids for Christmas as an almost Fisher Price like gadget that they can play a few cheap games from the massive existing catalogue.

It can't really be a core machine, as there are only a handful of new PSP games coming out, so there is zero incentive to buy one. Kids however, who most parent's wouldn't entrust with a smartphone or iPad might see this as a safer alternative.

Depending on the build quality, screen and buttons, I might pick one up to ensure my UMDs remain playable forever, but on the whole, expect to see this thrust firmly into the kid's pages of Argos catalogues (or whatever store you frequent).

I know 99 euros (£85) is a lot for a toy, but some Lego sets are more than that and with the promise of hordes of cheap games, it must be tempting for parents whose kids are chasing for anything gadgety. Look forward to giving one a run sometime soon.

Currently playing on my Vita/PS4/PS5