Featured Post

PSP2, Switch 2 and an Xbox handheld... a brighter portable future?

Back to the Future for Vita games!

Okay, I've had my fill of JRPGs, for a while! I've had so much rhythm action that my hips are crocked, for a while! I've had enough retro shooter and indie action, for a while! I'll get back into them soon enough, but there is a hole in every western gamer's heart when it comes to the Vita.

That hole is the void left by major western developers. No big name games, just a few shoddy ports.

But I'm over the denial, rage and other signs of grief, I'm happily accepting that and digging out all my old carts and PSP downloads for a blast of fun with some totemic titles to get me through the winter.

If you want proof of that user need, look at launch game Uncharted, currently at No. 3 on the UK retail chart - surely it has made its money and more back by now! FIFA and COD are still in the top 10. Check out Need for Speed at No. 2 on the PSN Vita Top Sellers list, even at its full £44.99 price.

"Gamers gonna game", as someone famous and more attractive than me might have sung once.

How many of those games did I finish? What secrets still lie within. Assuming you haven't sold your older games (guilty, I'm afraid), or they're all lurking off card in the PSN, PS+ Matrix somewhere, now is the time to dig them out and have another shot.

No. 1 on my list is WipEout 2048, that I gave up on in exasperation on the Sol track with its endless plummeting to my doom! Well, no longer, it took a few hours of solid practice, but I finally Elite ranked the combat race and passed the time trial.

ps vita, wipeout 2048
Literally "drop in" gaming at its best! No safety nets on Sol. 
More important to me than a little personal success, is how amazed I still am by the game. WipEout's speed and beauty, its lighting, the classy design, the music and intensity of action. Studio Liverpool knew their stuff and made it shine on the little Vita.

So, as we wind down for the season, this is a simple call to dig out the games that really show what the Vita is made of. I'm not a Platinum freak, after perfection, just suggesting that there's gold in those early games that many newer owners might have overlooked. If you never owned them, they're mostly dirt cheap now, so why not give them a spin?

Whatever your choice, Uncharted, WipEout 2048, Lumines, Ace Combat (PSP), Ridge Racer (PSP), Dissidia (PSP) there's huge amounts of great, and mostly cheap games to still enjoy. Go get 'em!

Currently playing on my Vita/PS4/PS5